Weekly Fantasy Football Chat (6/28)

Is it just me or is Ronald Jones super undervalued right now? I get that Gio’s on the team now and that Jones and Fournette might battle in training camp for RB1 status, but it seems to me that a solid RB3 (where I’d put him now) with high RB2 upside (if Fournette gets hurt which he has in basically every season) should be going earlier than the 8th/9th round, especially since a lot of analysts are predicting Tom Brady’s touchdowns to regress. Those TDs gotta go somewhere.

Not at all. I love Ekeler this year, especially in PPR.

As for Najee, he’s going to touch the ball 300 times and historically, rookie RBs that touch the ball over 300 times push RB1 finishes.

Has to be the running back. Especially in an non ppr format.

My concern is that Fournette came on strong down the stretch last season and RoJo barely played. Then the Bucs won the Super Bowl. Fournette played well. I just can’t think of a reason as to why Fournette wouldn’t be right back in the same role as he was then and RoJo in his same role as a backup that barely plays.

With that being said, RoJo could easily flip the script just like Fournette did whether due to poor play from Fournette or an injury. He’s certainly worth taking a shot on, but I’m not overly excited about him.

As for Gio, I don’t think about him at all.

Hey everyone! This is Matt Barbato from FantasyPros here for the next half hour or so to answer your pressing fantasy football questions. While this is the slowest part of the NFL calendar, July is when I really start preparing for the upcoming season. So with that said, let’s hear your questions!

I am in a 10 man dynasty league 1/2 PPR, 1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, Flex, etc. I have CMC, Cook, Davis, and Fournette. I don’t have a first round pick, but have 2.9, 3.4, 3.9 4.9, etc.

Do you think Fournette is worth a late first round pick? What about Fournette and a third for a first round pick?

In a dynasty league, I don’t think Fournette is worth a first-round pick. If you can find a player in your league who will trade a first-round pick for him, please let me know because that would be a heist. With Ronald Jones and Gio Bernard and Ke’Shawn Vaughn it’s just way too cluttered. While Tampa’s offense could lead to TD opportunities, I don’t think Fournette will come anywhere close to a first-round value.

At what point do we fade davante adams? O have to choose between him and Joe Mixon as my keeper in a week… With Rodgers, it’s no question, but without him, different story…

Since no one else is posting questions… I am also sitting on Pollard. Where do you see his value in dynasty?

Sadly, I don’t think we’ll get much clarity on the Rodgers situation before your keeper deadline, which is why I feel keepers shouldn’t be decided until a week before your draft (which in many cases for me is like mid-August). I would operate under the assumption that Rodgers returns, making Adams the clear choice. I don’t think Rodgers has as much leverage as he’s trying to create.

I am in a 12 team ppr auction league ($200 budget). My league loves RB’s and the top 3-4 backs go for $70-80 and the rest of the RB1’s generally go for $60-70. If I skip out on an RB1 I can get great value lower in the draft since I saved the $ but feel like you need a RB1 with how steep that position drops. Would you pay up for a RB1 or skip out and draft for value later on when everyone is low on money? Thanks so much!

First off, ask as many question as you want! Second, if you have a limited number of keeper spots, I wouldn’t use one on him. Otherwise, I like him as a high-upside handcuff who’s worth stashing this season. Let’s see if Ezekiel Elliott’s disastrous 2020 was more a result of the Cowboys collapsing, or if he’s really fallen off a cliff. I tend to think Zeke’s struggles were due to Prescott’s injury and the erosion of his O-line. However, I could see Pollard getting more work this season.

It’s so tempting in an auction to get fully into the bidding war. But I’d suggest patience and holding off if the price goes beyond a reasonable number. What I’d recommend is budgeting how much you’d be WILLING to spend on one of those RBs (be reasonable). And if the bidding gets out of control, bow out. Remember, in a 12-team league, there will be 12 RB1s! So while having a CMC or Dalvin Cook would be great, having a combo of Jonathan Taylor and Antonio Gibson for more reasonable prices is even better.

1 Like

Keep the questions coming!

In the same dynasty would you keep Ruggs over Lockett based on age?

That’s a tough one. I think I would stick with Lockett. I have Ruggs in a couple dynasty leagues… and I’m scared he’s Derrius Heyward-Bey 2.0.

Let’s say in the league most people drop their kickers and d/st, and you have a SOLID core 12, and your first pick is 19th overall. Knowing you will miss most of the rookies, would you focus on getting the best ranked D/ST and Kicker, or stick with upside depth until the last rounds of the draft? (Only 6 rounds).

Stick with compiling depth. You can play defense on a week-to-week basis, especially since it seems you’ve got the core of your roster pretty well set. Each week, dial into some streaming options on D and play the waivers game. I actually wrote an article earlier in June that outlines how I’d approach streaming the position. It’s linked here!

I recently finished a three team deal where I gave up de’andre swift and a 3rd round rookie pick and got back David Montgomery, myles gaskin, Michael Gallup, and a 4th rounder. I think the gap between swift and monty in dynasty is closer than ECR suggests. What do you think?

By the way, before our chat ends, I wanted to let you all know you can follow me on Twitter @RealMattBarbato and keep the conversation going. Always happy to help you answer your big questions, whether it’s draft strategy or weekly start/sit questions!