Weekly Fantasy Football Chat (6/14)

My strategy, assuming no draft pick trades, would be to get one of Waller or Kittle at the 2/3 turn (maybe both depending on your league settings). I think this depends on your leaguemates’ propensities (e.g., do they normally draft TEs or QBs early?). If both are gone due to the TE premium scoring, I’d look to secure a RB and WR at the turn, preferably someone like Najee, CEH, Dobbins, Gibson, or Swift on the RB side, and ARob, Cooper, or McLaurin for the WR.

The only curveball I’d ask you about is, considering your scoring, how interested would you be in selecting Kelce at the 1.01? In a TE premium league, I think this would surely be warranted.

1 Like

Regarding Gio: No, I don’t. He’s a solid third-down back who’s undersized and “old”. I don’t anticipate him generating much this season in the committee backfield with RoJo and Fournette.

Regarding Gaskin: I think he’s the top RB (alongside Hunt) in the “meh” tier of startable RBs (i.e., following the DMont, Jacobs tier). I’d be content taking him as my RB2 or flex if I went WR (or TE) heavy early, but I’m not terribly excited about him. Personally, I’d rather draft a RB in that tier with greater upside (i.e., Hunt, Davis, Etienne, MAYBE, though prob not, Edmonds).

Hey everyone! Excited to be here to answer your questions! Please drop any questions you have about the upcoming fantasy football season, and I’ll try to get to all of them. Also, feel free to follow me on Twitter (@JaredL_FF) if you have any further questions!

I’d love this trade for you as a 2021 contender. I’m of the belief that, when healthy, Julio is a top 5 WR in the league, so being able to add him for the presumed 3rd option - also among two younger WRs - and a late-1st (when you already have better 1sts), is great!

In redraft (0.5 PPR), I’d lean Higgins > Chark > Shenault >= Boyd. Think Higgins is the X for the Bengals this year (may be supplanted by Chase in 2022, however), and Chark is the X for the Jags.

In dynasty (0.5 PPR), I’d modify this a bit by going Higgins > Shenault > Chark > Boyd.

What other players are available that you’ll be targeting?

I think your first question is difficult to answer due to the dynasty format and drafting settings on your league. It’ll help if you could share some sample players that are available in your redraft 1st round.

Regarding your second question: with the Falcons trading away Julio, I’d actually target Hurst as a solid fill-in at TE this year (he surprisingly finished 2020 as the TE9 in 0.5 PPR leagues). I think TEs are extremely similar after the top 3 (dynasty value notwithstanding), so going into your season with Cook, Jarwin, and Hurst shouldn’t be too bad. Who else is available though?

1 Like

I’m wholeheartedly invested in CMC at the 1 pick. Top tier QBs and TEs usually go early. I am willing to take QB on the swing if P. Mahomes or J. Allen is available ( most likely won’t be) There are no restrictions on two TEs ( must start one, and there are 2 flex options for them). I am definitely all for Waller if he makes it back to me. The struggle I am having is in All of the mock draft simulations I have done both P. mahomes and Waller are falling to me. ( Which I know won’t be the case) Which Is why I appreciate the insight on drafting WR and RB. In your opinion are there must draft players above P.Mahomes and Waller, if they make it on the turn?

I think getting the 1.01 is the best spot, as CMC is an absolute machine in fantasy (especially PPR), along with the ability to get a high-upside RB (e.g., CEH, Dobbins, Najee, Swift) and second-tier WR/TE (e.g., Waller, Kittle, AJB, Allen, JJeff) at the turn.

However, beyond this spot, I’ve found myself really loving the 7-10 spots (I’d target Kelce/Zeke/Adams (if ARod returns)/Hill in the 1st and then Ekeler/Jones/Ridley in the 2nd).

If I can’t get the 1.01, I love having the positions “in proximity” to the turns, since you can more effectively “snipe” or draft based on those other teams’ prior picks (e.g., if you have the 1.02 and saw the 1.01 went RB-RB-TE, you can probably pass on a RB in the 4th to take a WR and still get your RB in the 5th).

Without knowing the other contenders in your league or which players will be available in 1st for 2021, I think your team is set for a championship run this season and you don’t need to make any moves. I anticipate that with keeping 12 players, there aren’t that many good options worthy trading up to select (please feel free to share some available players though!).

In a 10 man 2QB keeper league where you can keep up to 3 players, would you keep Matt Ryan in 2nd round, Chark in 5th round, Laundry in 7th round, Zack Moss in 8th, Jeudy in 11th, or Pollard in 14th? (Or none of the above)

Already keeping Akers in 6th round, and Mark Andrews in 15th round.

Thanks for advice!

So I checked my yahoo available players
Rbs avail by yahoo projections :

Gaskin (I have confirmation he’s going with the first pick of redraft)

Mike Davis (could very well end up being second pick)

Tony pollard

Jerrick Mckinnon (I cut him last yr after having him for 2 yrs on ir and not really taking advantage in San Fran after the other rbs went down)

James white
Darrell Henderson Jr
Jd mckissic
Philip lindsey
Jeff Wilson jr
Jamaal Williams (lions)
Damien williams (bears)

For tights ends I thought jarwin would be an upgrade over Hurst despite the knee injury, I kept Hurst through his whole career up until this off season and spent a 2nd round rookie pick on him, so I cut him I guess in frustration of him not fulfilling his potential

Oddly enough according to yahoo projections Hurst would be the first tight end off the board in our redraft

Then

Gerald everett
Anthony firkser
Chris herndon
Njoku
Cameron brate
Trautman
Moe Allie cox
Harrison bryant
Jack doyle
Jordan akins
Albert okuwengbunam
Kaden smith

I’m targeting these two positions cause I think I’m more or less set at wideout and QB

My wideouts (5 starters)
Beckham
Keenan Allen
Corey Davis
Slayton
Pascal
Lamb
Shenault

My QBs (2 starters)
Mahomes
Cousins
Kellen mond (3rd round rookie )

Won’t know who else is available until days before draft, so I guess the question is do any rookies have value over my dynasty 12. Thanks for your thoughts though!

I think at the 1.02, you have four options: Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson, and CMC (he’s just that broken in fantasy!). Personally, I’d lean Allen since he’s the best passer of the bunch in a pass-happy, modernized offense, assuming 2020 wasn’t an outlier, and still offers high rushing upside.

However, if you’re lukewarm about Allen in 2021 (and the future), I’d probably lean Jackson at the 1.02 and then possibly CMC before Kyler. In a 10-team league, depth isn’t as much of a priority, so getting those elite options early and often is key!

I think this depends on your current predicament for the 2021 season and team needs. I think Ryan will get boat-raced by Hurts in fantasy this year (Hurts is my dark horse to finish as the QB1) so that’s presumably a massive upgrade. Also, Cooks is a solid sleeper at WR who’s put together a solid career and has been a model of consistency since entering the league, regardless of which team/QB he’s played with.

However, in a vacuum (feel free to share more details), I’d:

A) No, I wouldn’t do this since we don’t know Hurts’ long-term value with the Eagles, while Lamb has already paced himself for greatness.

B) I think I’d need at least a high-1st for Lamb, or multiple 1sts to trade him without getting a great player in return (Hurts could be this, but a lot of long-term uncertainty).

I should specify I’m playing 12-man redraft PPR.

The only other WR i sort of like in that range is Golladay, who I’m sure will fall a bit in my draft. I just don’t know how he’ll do with all those mouths to feed in NY. Higgins is more of a known (good) commodity.

Here’s another question: how the hell is Ryan Tannehill ranked so low in expert rankings? 7th in 2020 and he dominated the 2nd half of 2019, and yet he seems to get drafted in like the 8th to 10th rounds. Is he just perennially undervalued or is there something I’m missing?

I think this depends on the likelihood of people actually being able to meet in person (assuming they’re comfortable with the current COVID environment) versus on Zoom. This also depends on whether this is a hometown league (e.g., one with high school/college friends) versus one with limited relationships.

I think setting a date and time well in advance is the simplest yet best first step. Incentivizing live attendance even further by mentioning post-draft food, drinks, bars, etc. would probably make more people willing to “trek” to meet in person.

Keep Kelce by giving up the 2.06 for sure. In a 10-team league, depth matters even less so getting that undeniable TE1 (who outpaces the TE2 by a wide margin as well) gives you an immediate competitive advantage. There’s also a good chance you’d be able to get McLaurin in the 3rd or even 4th rounds as well!

1 Like

I love this question, as it incorporates anticipating your leaguemates’ drafting styles! My question to you is the scoring/league settings (e.g., PPR, TE premium, SF, etc.)

Assuming it’s a 10-or-12-team, 1QB, 0.5 PPR league (i.e., “standard”), I’d highly advise against taking a QB at the turn. The ROI on an early QB in 1QB leagues is almost always bad relative to other positions.

If this is a 10-team league, then depth matters much less, so I’d happily target Waller/Kittle at the turn; however, if this is a 12-team league, I’d be more inclined (albeit not sold) to go CMC-RB-WR with your first three picks. I’d love starting my drafts with a CMC-Najee-JJeff/AJB/Thomas/Allen combo, all things held equal. Or even going CMC-Najee-Gibson/CEH/Mixon/Dobbins/Swift.

With these options (and not knowing the opportunity costs by keeping the picks and drafting a player), I’d lean Jeudy in the 11th for sure. He’s a high-profile, young WR at a minimal cost. Also, if in the unlikely scenario that ARod were to be traded to Denver this offseason, you’d strike gold.

14 team PPR, TE 1.5 pts PPR. With that knowledge would you still advise against QB early?