Weekly Fantasy Baseball Chat (5/24)

Kindly explain why you think a 32 yr old Merrifield who’s statcast numbers are down across the board is going to be more valuable (ROS) than Devers, who ,the way he’s going is likely to be inducted into Cooperstown before he turns 30.

Hello, So, this is my first year playing fantasy baseball and first time since 2004 when I played football on yahoo for a few seasons.

Are the VBR a joke to fool to fool the FNGs (new guys)?

Are the Match Up Ranking stars and Current Number Rankings just based on VBR?

Since the third week of the season when I began ignoring these calculations I have been winning consistently.

The daily lineup suggestions have likewise been ignored as it suggests sitting JD MARTINEZ , RYAN MCMAHON and even NICK CASTELLANOS from time to time!!!??
And, no, not on their off days. For guys like TOMMY EDMANN and IAN HAPP, whom until recently were hapless.

Do you guys see this too and here this from others all the time as well?
Are there alternatives or just need to do our own common sense research?

As in my profession it’s: “Past performance is no guarantee of future performance but the VBR just seems wrong and everything else based off of it is then wrong as well.

Thank you and happy season to all!

Yeah, Yelich is about as tough as it gets right now for fantasy managers. If this is what we’re going to deal with all year, then we’d need to sell for whatever we can get. But, he did steal a base already, which suggests that perhaps he might be good to go and they’re just taking it easy with him. The bigger issue is I think few people are willing to give up significant value for him now, so I’d probably just hold and hope that the reins are eventually loosened.

1 Like

More value rest of season? Hill, wood, manoah or kaprilien.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not great right now, but in dynasty, there’s not much you can do. Remember that last year messed with all of these guys, so I’d just hold him for now and swallow the frustration, unfortunately.

I have zero interest in rostering Lamet. I would prefer any of those pitchers in a heartbeat. Can’t imagine he stays healthy and provides much value this year.

I actually would project them to have similar value, but would narrowly prefer Keuchel. Think both should do fine.

1 Like

I wouldn’t. I like Hill, I’ve been pounding the table for managers to pick him up, but not at the expense of Ray or Calhoun, both of whom are having legitimate breakouts, it appears.

1 Like

Meh, think he’ll be fine against that lineup, but such little win potential against Bieber. I’d probably pass, personally, but I don’t expect a disaster or anything.

Don’t have strong feelings on it, and would probably swap him for Murphy, but it’s not a huge difference.

Ah! Yes, I would do that.

Oh, Waffle. You’re so mad about it. I love Devers. Merrifield is eligible at two positions, one of which is super shallow. He leads the league in steals by 4 or 5 over the field and shows no signs of slowing down. His batting average is only going to come up. Speed + second base = crazy value.

Also, Devers stinks. (I’m kidding. See you in Discord!)

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback. And yes, VBR is just out there to fool you as a newbie to fantasy baseball. JOKE HAS SUCCEEDED!

So, VBR are based on consensus projections, which are updated daily. I promise you, go to ANY daily projection site, and you are going to see plenty of times where it’s going to suggest starting Scrubby McScruberson over a more established name based on 50 million factors.

Now, I can tell you, I don’t do that. I like to check VBR, daily projections, etc., but my personal philosophy is not to bench what I consider “stud” players based on matchups. Others do, and if you ever follow the most profitable DFS players, that’s how they’ll make a lot of their money.

The key, as always, is to gather as much data as possible and then make up your own mind. That’s what makes a successful fantasy manager. Sounds like you’re doing a darn fine job of that. So keep up the great work!

Wood for me. Too many health question marks with Hill, we need to see what the plan is with Manoah, and just no on Kaprilien.

Oh, I’m about as salty as a pretzel dipped in vegimite, my man!!:rofl:

I’ll trade you Devers for Acuna and deGrom. Deal?

I’m in favor of any fantasy realm in which I own both Acuna and DeGrom in the same league. From your lips, Dinger!

Also, just wanna say that upgrading my FP membership is probably the best move I’ve made this year…and I traded Soler for Means just before his no-no

Glad to hear it, man!

Drop Danny Duffy or hold? Seems forearm issues are dangerous.