Weekly Fantasy Football Chat (6/7)

Our fantasy football analysts will be around to answer your burning questions! We have Brendan Tuma set for an AMA Wednesday at 1 pm EST, but there may be others checking in to help answer your questions as well.

You can begin asking your questions now by replying below!

In my dynasty league, we only get one draft pick for every player we drop from our roster. Is there a guideline for determining how many I should drop? Specifically, how many rounds of a rookie draft do you need to make before you are so deep in the garbage you’d be better off streaming instead?

It’s a 16 team PPR superflex league.

How do you generate your own player draft list? If you just consider points or even average points scored, QB’s always end on top. But for relative values, top grade RB’s and TE’s are far more valuable in most formats, with the occasional WR sneaking in for PPR. How do you compensate your general rankings for position value? Or is it just subjectively eyeballing the rankings?

Who’s the better option in dynasty Kylen Granson or Noah Gray?

Thanks for hosting this! 6th pick overall in 10-team standard keeper. Assuming first 5 are CMC, Cook, Henry, Barkley, Kamara (Taylor kept), who do you go with between Chubb and Zeke? And if Kamara falls, do you take him over either of those in standard format? Thanks!

Going to do my best to answer this hypothetically. Of course, you know your league history better than I do and it also comes down to how strong your keeper options are.

Given that it’s a SuperFlex league you definitely want to go three rounds deep, at least. If you’re in pure rebuild mode than you probably want to another round or two deeper. I’m not sure this entirely answers your question, but obviously rookie draft picks decrease sharply in value with each passing round.

1 Like

I view it more so as playing the market. For example, if you draft on ESPN then you want to know the ESPN default rankings and pinpoint the spots in the draft that you consider values or landmines. It definitely doesn’t come down to total points or average points, because like you said, certain positions are more valuable than others.

This is where the market comes in. What is easiest to obtain in your league? What is toughest? For most 1QB redraft leagues, QBs are the most replaceable position, so it makes sense to wait on that. Whereas high-end RBs are the most scarce resource, so I’d be willing to take that position early.

Lastly, we want to know where fantasy difference-makers historically come from. There has been a lot of talk recently about the “RB Dead Zone”, which is the idea that RBs drafted between Rounds 3-6 don’t provide as strong of win rates as we’d expect. Therefore, I’d want to get an elite TE in this spot or load up on WRs (if I secured those RBs in the first two rounds).

Hopefully this helps. There’s no blanket answer. But that’s my general strategy entering drafts this summer.

1 Like

These are late enough dynasty selections that we’re really playing with lottery tickets, but the Colts seem genuinely excited about Granson. I’d go with him.

1 Like

Hey Brenden! Im in a 12 team half point ppr redraft league and get 1st selection of what draft spot I want, which spot do you think I should grab?

Thanks for coming! Oy, as I started reading your question I was going to answer Taylor, but it sounds like he is kept!

We are talking about the most elite tier of RBs here, so we are really nitpicking. The way I approach FF this is ultimately more about nailing the position (which I agree you should take one of the RBs) and less about the actual player analysis. These guys are all studs, and it’s tough to say definitively who the best option actually is. In all likelihood injuries will determine the success.

They each have their potential problems. Zeke will rate off the charts in any statistical projection this season, given his anticipated workload + high-end offense. However, he looked noticeably slow at times in 2020. Chubb, on the other hand, won’t catch a meaningful number of passes. But he’s arguably the best pure inside runner in the NFL, has a soft schedule, and also has the best OL in the league.

Right now I have Zeke ranked higher, but it’s a true tossup and ultimately a good problem to have. Lastly, yes, I’d take Kamara over these two.

Hey Ben! I think this comes down to either picking first overall (CMC) or taking like the 9th or 10th selection and getting two top-16 players.

The thing to consider with CMC is that in 2019 he averaged almost nine PPR points per game more than the No. 2 RB. I know your league is only half-PPR, but that is still such a wild edge. And an elite RB like that is the best asset you can have in FF. Because of this, I’d lean No. 1 overall. But I’d fully understand if you’d prefer taking 2 of the Chubb/Jones/Akers/Mixon/Ekeler tier and drafting later in the first. I’d just avoid the middle, where it’s tougher to have your team stand out

Dynasty- Thoughts on Barkley? I just traded Jacobs (my 5th RB) , Hock( I have Kittle) & 2021 1.4 for Barkley. Thoughts?

Gotta like it in dynasty. I have two “concerns” for Saquon entering 2021, which are:

1. It really does sound as if the Giants plan to ease him in. So I wouldn’t expect a full workload in Week 1. And probably not in Week 2 either. By the end of the year it should be there, but be patient.

2. That monster PPR season came with Eli “dumpoff” Manning at QB, and I don’t think Daniel Jones will necessarily check down as often, so I wonder if we’ve already seen his ceiling in terms of receptions

All that being said, obviously he is an insane talent who can do no wrong when on the field with the ball in his hands. I’d be thrilled to roster him in any dynasty setting.

Gotta like it in dynasty. I have two “concerns” for Saquon entering 2021, which are:

1. It really does sound as if the Giants plan to ease him in. So I wouldn’t expect a full workload in Week 1. And probably not in Week 2 either. By the end of the year it should be there, but be patient.
  2. That monster PPR season came with Eli “dumpoff” Manning at QB, and I don’t think Daniel Jones will necessarily check down as often, so I wonder if we’ve already seen his ceiling in terms of receptions

All that being said, obviously he is an insane talent who can do no wrong when on the field with the ball in his hands. I’d be thrilled to roster him in any dynasty setting.

Would you trade Nick Chubb and Diggs for Alvin Kamera and Calvin Ridley

Assuming this is a dynasty league, is it full PPR?

Ultimately, both Diggs and Ridley are studs and both Chubb and Kamara are studs, No drastic age differences here so it’s a pretty lateral move for me personally. I think I’d rather Chubb/Diggs, but obviously we’re talking about players who are all in the same tier here

10 Team Dynasty, 1 QB, .5PPR. What kind of draft pick return would you seek for James Robinson? I’m not terribly deep at RB, but if I can get a top 12 pick do I pull the trigger?

PPR Dynasty rookie draft: Travis Etienne or Javonte Williams?

Both have entrenched veterans they will be behind on the depth chart to start the season. Etienne is rated 4 in ECR, but Williams is at 5. But it seems to me Williams has a slightly cleaner path to being #1, if Melvin Gordon gets suspended. Also, wasn’t Williams a bit more highly rated coming out of college? On top of that, Etienne is dealing with a great unknown in Urban Meyer’s offense. Finally, we’ve seen Fangio’s offense, and he seems to want to run.

Am I wrong in thinking this rating should be the other way around?

I’m in a deep league 16 PPR, 1RB, 2WR. Which strategy best fits in a final draft position (12 to 16)?