Rumors, Franchise Tags & New Contracts

Tons of stuff going on in the NFL right now.

The Cowboys tagged Tony Pollard. Which means they didn’t tag Dalton Schultz, who may now hit free agency.

The Raiders tagged Josh Jacobs. I wonder how much more that will cost them, compared to having taken his 5th year option.

Speaking about the Raiders: they are said to be interested in Jimmy Garoppolo once he hits free agency.

The Giants would like to tag Saquon and extend Daniel Jones. But no agreement has been reached yet, and if it doesn’t happen right now, it means they will have to tag Danny Dimes, and Saquon may hit free agency.

The Ravens are expected to tag Lamar Jackson today.

The Seahawks gave Geno Smith a 3 year contract worth $105m.

The Jags tagged Evan Engram.

The Saints signed Derek Carr are expected to release Jameis Winston. This should be good news for Chris Olave.

The Bucs will release Leonard Fournette on March 15th.

The Rams gave Allen Robinson permission to seek a trade.

The Titans are rumored to have put Derrick Henry on the trading block.

The Broncos are said to look for suitors for Courtland Sutton.

Aaron Rodgers seems to prefer returning to the Packers for yet another year. The Packers front office is said to prefer if he didn’t. Same goes for Jordan Love, one would guess.

And finally, Tom Brady is rumored to consider un-retiring for a second time. Apparently, he spent some time in Miami these days.

After all the time off, this is all you got? JK/lol

1 Like

I can see a LOT of fantasy impact movement coming between FA, trades and draft, perhaps most ever.

I am wondering how the past failures of many FA RBs changing teams in the past will have on teams bidding and with a very talented RB rookie class waiting.

1 Like

The Texans are also after Jimmy G. Reportedly they want to draft a rookie QB and develop him under Jimmy.

The Packers gave Aaron Rodgers permission to talk to the Jets.

1 Like

Ravens tagged Lamar Jackson, but with a non-exclusive tag.
So Lamar is free to negotiate, and the Ravens can then either match any offer he signs, or will get two 1st round picks as compensation.

Falcons said they are not pursuing him.

Giants finished a last-minute contract with Daniel Jones (4 years, $160m).
Jones was the #11 fantasy QB in 2022.

Minutes before the deadline, the Giants also tagged Saquon.

2 Likes

A few FA RB projected landing spots

1. DETROIT LIONS

The Lions are the only run-heavy team with a good offensive line, cap space and carries available.

• The Lions’ offensive line ranked ninth in PFF’s run-blocking team grade in 2022.
  • Detroit is retaining four of its five starting offensive linemen from 2022, as well as Halapouilivaati Vaitai, who spent 2022 on injured reserve. All five registered 65.0-plus PFF run-blocking grades in their most recent season.
  • The Lions have the seventh-highest rate rush rate (46%) over the last two seasons in the first half outside of two-minute drills.
  • Two of the Lions’ top three running backs from last season are hitting free agency — Jamaal Willaims and Justin Jackson.
  • D’Andre Swift is their main back remaining on the roster, but he spent most of the season playing 40% of offensive snaps or less.
  • Detroit is in the top half of the league in effective cap space, per Over The Cap.
Suggested Target: Miles Sanders

2. ATLANTA FALCONS

The Falcons were the only team to run on over half of their plays last season.

• Atlanta also has the second-most cap space heading into free agency, allowing them to win a bidding war if it decides to spend on a running back.
  • Chris Lindstrom and Matt Hennessy are two of the only five interior offensive linemen with 90.0-plus PFF run-blocking grades over the last two seasons, and both are under contract for 2023.
  • The main drawback to the Falcons is all of their running backs from 2022 are still under contract, which includes Cordarrelle Patterson, who will be turning 32 years old before the end of the month. If Atlanta pursues a free-agent running back, it would likely replace Patterson in the offense.
  • A free agent would likely have to split time with Tyler Allgeier, who improved as his rookie season progressed.
  • A running back in a timeshare would still have the opportunity for double-digit carries and a receiving role behind some great offensive linemen.
Suggested Target: David Montgomery

3. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

The Eagles have the top unrestricted free agent at running back in Miles Sanders.

• Sanders was able to finish at RB15 last season with three top-three finishes despite being in a committee and playing with Jalen Hurts, who often took rushing touchdowns that would typically go to running backs on other teams.
  • Boston Scott is also slated to hit free agency. The best case for a free agent is they sign and are leading a two-man backfield with Kenneth Gainwell.
  • The Eagles were the second-most run-heavy team in the second half of games last year at 53.6%.
  • Philadelphia had the best offensive line at the end of the 2022 season. Isaac Seumalo is slated to hit free agency, but he’s also the weakest run blocker on the line.
  • The Eagles are right in the middle of the league in terms of cap space.
  • Whoever lands as Philadelphia’s lead back should be a fantasy starter, but might not have the ceiling of a top-10 back.
Suggested Target: Damien Harris

4. CHICAGO BEARS

The Bears likely need a two-man committee for their backfield and someone to pair with Khalil Herbert if David Montgomery leaves.

• The Bears also have Trestan Ebner and Darrynton Evans under contract, but both backs finished with less than 100 offensive snaps while registering sub-55.0 PFF offensive grades in their limited opportunities.
  • Chicago’s situation is around league average in terms of rushing rate and offensive line quality.
  • The Bears have, by far, the most cap space heading into free agency. They would be able to sign Montgomery if they wanted to, or bring in any other running back. It wouldn’t be out of the question for them to bring in two players.
Suggest Target: Devin Singletary

5. DENVER BRONCOS

Javonte Williams is still recovering from his knee injuries, and there is a wide range of outcomes for when he could come back, including the possibility he misses all of 2023.

• Denver used several backs to try to replace Williams last season. Three of the four are unrestricted free agents while Chase Edmonds could be cut based on his current salary.
  • It’s possible that if any back that signs would be forced to be a backup all season while rarely seeing playing time, but they could also be a feature back for most or all of the season.
  • The Broncos brought in Sean Payton as their head coach. He was one of the most run-heavy coaches in his last few years with the New Orleans Saints.
  • Denver has a below-average offensive line, but Garett Bolles and Quinn Meinerz are two players to build around on the line.
Suggest Target: Kareem Hunt

This off season is already making my head hurt with so many moves having having so much effect on so many fantasy players in value.

For me just look at the Lions. I, and others here, have Swift. Williams is a FA and many speculate they will draft Robinson and/or add a FA.

I cannot recall any off season with this many moving pieces.

Last year was more extreme.

It is entertaining to watch you trying to post in shorthand. :slight_smile:

It was more extreme but not close to being as far reaching. There were not as many teams involved and not much in the draft to consider.

March 11

New York sounds good. :slight_smile:

Vikings have a trade offer for Cook who they were shopping and are deciding.
Other teams appear to be interested and they need his $8 savings.

Ed, you may have to rethink dropping him.

1 Like

Falcons have traded for Jonnu Smith. :flushed:

Are they shopping Pitts?

2 Likes

This offseason is picking up some serious steam.

Ekeler asks for permission to negotiate with other teams.
Not sure he’ll get it, though. The man wants to get paid, and I can understand him. He sits on a modest contract that runs out after the 2023 season. IIRC, I did project some potential offseason drama here.

1 Like

Are you sure Cook will get a better situation than he had in Minnesota? Also, he isn’t any younger. I’d rather spend my first rounder on a talented rookie.

1 Like

Clearly, they needed a blocking TE. Pitts is a great receiver, but nobody ever praised his blocking skills.

No idea but not seeing great rookie options worth a #1 pick to pay next year.

So the Raiders sign Jimmy G.
I’m not sure if I’d call him an upgrade over Carr.

1 Like

Dolphins sign Mike White as a backup for Tua. Good call.

The Panthers are looking for someone to take Matt Corral off their roster. Hardly surprising after they traded up to the 1.01.

1 Like

He isn’t. But that’s the Raiders now. They are more interested in players that get along with Josh McDaniels now, than players who can actually play.