Rookie Ranks in Different Formats?

In dynasty, an elite WR is pure gold. They last a long time, and give you awesome production. JJ is exactly that kind of WR.

A friend from another keeper league made a good point on this topic. If you take a rookie with your #1 pick in Dynasty the player is yours and your pick comes back next year. In Redraft use the player for a year and start over

In Keeper you have the player for a season but to hold him it will cost you #1 again next year. Most top rookies take some time to get going. Look at this year with Hall and Walker who did become top tier RBs, drafted 4th and 7th.

We have seen some really good rookie WRs from last draft but none are top 30 this year.

This is the first time I have done a hybrid with 8 keepers, most before was 3 with a non drafted bonus 4th. It is different, much more challenging and still learning some while enjoying it.

We agreed that a RB could well be a #1 pick in our 8 keeper league but not in standard keepers. A WR would be more doubtful.

Thoughts?

Chris Olave is WR14 and Garret Wilson is WR23 in half PPR.

Before the end of this year, we could see George Pickens (WR38) and Christian Watson (WR40) entering the top 30.

Agreed. When you are only allowed to keep 2-3, only the most elite WR’s would even be considered. If it was a PPR league, I think WR’s might carry much more weight.

1 Like

Which has a lot to do with the landing spot. Drake London, Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave could easily be WR2s or even WR1s if they didn’t suffer from bad QB play. And Jameson Williams is injured.

Few managers draft a rookie RB as 1st overall pick. They rather take last year’s #1 RB. And here’s what that got them in recent years:

2012: #5
2013: #9
2014: #7
2015: #48
2016: #6
2017: #118
2018: #1
2019: #14
2020: #53
2021: #8
2022: currently #20

I don’t have a similar stat for top rookie RB finishes at hand, but into the blue, I’d bet they are better.

2 Likes

Agreed, the landing spot comes into play and then there is the waiting for who all other teams will keep and this is after the draft order a month away.

MANY moving pieces.

Personally, I am playing our deep keeper league as a dynasty variant, with player valuations near what they would be in dynasty, only considering their draft pick as a secondary criteria. For example, Dalvin Cook was my first rounder, but I can’t see using a first rounder on him next year, so he will be gone. I’d sooner grab a rookie than take Cook again, but I might use a later pick on him.

1 Like

Ed, Olave is 45 and Wilson 50 without adding Dynasty futures.

You’re looking at ECR rankings, not statistical rankings. Honestly, I’m surprised the so-called experts are so far off from what the stats say.

edmcgonRegular

ZakHH

6m

Personally, I am playing our deep keeper league as a dynasty variant, with player valuations near what they would be in dynasty, only considering their draft pick as a secondary criteria. For example, Dalvin Cook was my first rounder, but I can’t see using a first rounder on him next year, so he will be gone. I’d sooner grab a rookie than take Cook again, but I might use a later pick on him.

That’s fair. I traded Jameson and Kirk for a #1 which will be top 4. IF it is 1 or 2 it will be good for me. If not, I would have preferred to keep Jameson. He is top of the line talent and his landing spot in Detroit is VG.

edmcgonRegular

10m

You’re looking at ECR rankings, not statistical rankings. Honestly, I’m surprised the so-called experts are so far off from what the stats say.

I cannot recall ever picking, trading or taking off waivers off blind stats. Who have you added based on this?

1 Like

I ALWAYS look at the stats first! Experts too often put too much weight on talent, and not enough on team situations. Stats tell you more about how the team works around a player.

Kinda like Pitts for AJ?

Huh? Do you have a point in there about what we’re discussing?

You said you “ALWAYS look at stats.” Guess there are exceptions. :slight_smile:

So what does AJ Brown have to do with Kyle Pitts? We weren’t even discussing either of them, not to mention you’re suddenly comparing a WR with a TE? I’m still waiting for the point in your comment?

Ed, tell me of your stat comparison before proposing this trade.

You’re bringing a trade offer into an objective discussion? Ok, fine. I’m not going to offer you an initial “fair trade”. Yes, I am offering you something to see what you’ll do. If you accept, I walk away a winner. If you don’t, at least we have a point to discuss if you counter, which you never do, because you storm off insulted. Your problem, not mine.

I used Pitts as an example of not ALWAYS looking at stats. Your perceived value of him is based on what you think he will do in future not current stats.

How many trades have you made this year? I have not seen or heard of any. Last year? The year before? My perception is that you do not know how to trade and just look to take advantage. Your problem Nd when you try to waste my time to make it my problem over and over it is annoying. That’s all.

I was trading Pitts AWAY. Explain how I wasn’t looking at his stats?

I have posted several trades I’ve made this year. I’m sorry if your memory is foggy. I can’t help your dementia.

And it’s my fault because I’m supposed to give you initial trade offers that make you feel like you’re robbing me blind? Whatever…
EyeRoll2

LOL We’re done here I do not refer to roster bottom feeders. I have had a couple other managers bring up the ridiculous trades as well.

I cannot imagine anyone agreeing with what you do BUT, the forum is open.