Detroit Lions: Coming back?

I look at this article, and wonder if we’re underestimating the Lions. FMIA: Hungry Lions Have Horses For 2022 Success - Peter King, NBC

For a franchise that wasted HOFers Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson, and then traded away Matt Stafford only to see him win a Super Bowl that year, it’s only natural to wonder if this franchise is broken. But that article makes me wonder.

1 Like

They are not as terrible as some seem to think. But I still think it’s too early to bet on them in 2022.

Jared Goff isn’t as terrible as an NFL QB as he is as a fantasy QB. Still, he does not look like the asset that can help turning the franchise around. He is signed through 2024, but the Lions could cut him loose after this season, saving over $40m in 2 years. I would be very surprised if they missed that opportunity to free up some serious cap space.

The Lions will look for their new franchise QB next year. Which means they will probably need another year after that to get the new offense clicking.

Jameson Williams is a good addition in dynasty rookie drafts this year, if you can afford to stash him for 2 years. In redraft, it should be safe to ignore him.

In redraft, I think all Lions players are aptly priced in ADP. Swift is a low-end RB1, Hockenson a mid-range TE1, and Amon-Ra St. Brown could have a few good games, especially if Williams starts the season on PUP. St. Brown is a WR3 with WR2 upside.

I don’t think the 2022 Lions will surprise us. But they are not a “stay away” team, anyway, as their fantasy assets provide pretty safe floors. The franchise is not broken, but they will need another year or two to finish their turnaround. They could be a susprise team in 2023, and should be on everybody’s radar in 2024, provided their new QB delivers.

1 Like

A lot of “ifs” there. I get the feeling certain players could be ok, but don’t expect league-winning stats from them. Just a lot of RB/WR/TE 2’s and 3’s.

1 Like