I was testing something in a mock draft in Yahoo: an RB-heavy draft. I literally hit the point in the 13th round where the system told me I had maxed on my RB’s, and it wouldn’t let me draft another one.
Why would I do this? Simple: If I end up with too many good/great RB’s, I can trade one or more for talent at other positions. It also ensures I don’t have too few good RB’s.
I was drafting 8th in a 10 team draft:
- Najee Harris (Pit - RB): Obviously.
- Davante Adams (LV - WR): In a lot of mock drafts, I have had to take Adams in the 1st round, so getting him in the 2nd is a steal.
- Kyle Pitts (Atl - TE): You can argue about how this is too early to draft a TE, but notice I didn’t take a second one. Take care of the position and move on.
- Breece Hall (NYJ - RB): Hall as my second RB is pretty sweet.
- Jaylen Waddle (Mia - WR): A solid WR2.
- Jalen Hurts (Phi - QB): Got my QB cheap.
- Hunter Renfrow (LV - WR): Wanted to take care of the WR3 before prospecting in the RB’s.
- Rhamondre Stevenson (NE - RB): He may end up with the bulk of carries in New England’s RBBC.
- Dameon Pierce (Hou - RB): Already looking like the RB1 in Houston. Averaging close to 10 yards/carry in the preseason is what you want to see from your starting RB.
- Kenneth Walker III (Sea - RB): Does anyone trust Penny to last as the RB1 in Seattle? Nah.
- Derek Carr (LV - QB): On the off-chance Hurts faceplants this season, I have my QB position insured.
- Zamir White (LV - RB): Back to RB prospecting. Zeus will be the first man up when/if Josh Jacobs gets hurt, and likely will be spelling Jacobs.
- George Pickens (Pit - WR): No more RB’s? Ok fine, I’ll take one of the best WR prospects this year.
- Younghoe Koo (Atl - K): KOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
- Las Vegas (LV - DEF): Homer pick.
Going into the season with my RB’s Harris, Hall, Stevenson, Pierce, Walker and White is a pretty formidable bunch. Even if you don’t like one or more of these guys, you have to admit there’s enough potential breakouts here to dominate a league. In a dynasty or keeper league, this would be even sweeter with all these young RB’s (4 rookies and 2 second year guys).