ESPN Roster / Position Maximums

Can’t seem to find a straight answer on ESPN. I play in a 1QB ESPN league, with a roster maximum of 2QB’s per team. I’ve got Kyler Murray on Bye this week and Justin Fields who is questionable going into this week. Trade deadline is tomorrow. If Fields doesn’t play this week, can I place him on IR and pick up another QB…basically adding a 3rd QB to my roster? If not, I’ve got to try and work a trade ASAP. Thanks.

A bye and a questionable will not give you that option in any league.

Correct, but if Fields is inactive going into Sunday’s game, he’ll get an “Out” designation, which would be eligible for IR in my league.

Correct, but if Fields is inactive going into Sunday’s game, he’ll get an “Out” designation, which would be eligible for IR in my league.

Yes and if you knew that why ask?

Because I don’t know if having a QB on IR counts against the 2 QB limit / maximum… If it doesn’t, I’m fine. But if it does count (or if I’m unsure), I need to try and at least get some value from Fields in a trade before tomorrow afternoon. I’m just hoping someone on here has more experience with this scenario than I have.

I am not 100% positive, but my sense would be that players on IR wouldn’t count against your roster limits.

In answer, No he does not, When any player is put on IR he is nor longer on the active roster and cannot be counted. This is why you can replace him with a waiver pick up.

1 Like

I can’t say for sure how ESPN handles this, didn’t have the situation there so far. But other platforms I play on do not count players on IR against the roster maximums. So if you place Fields on IR, you should be able to add another QB.