2023 Keeper Advice: Hurts, Waddle, or Ridley?

You’re right, Broncos offense was laughably bad last year. But you can’t sit there and tell me that preseason there wasn’t a bunch of hype around their offense’s potential. There were 6-7 players in that offense that were considered solid-or-better draft choices last year. All I’m saying is that the Jags situation coming into this season seems similar to me. Doesn’t mean I think they are going to be bad, but the track record isn’t quite there yet and therefore there is a certain amount of risk baked into their offense. Ridley in particular, too, since this is his first year on this team after not playing for 1+ years and he’s not a young buck anymore.

Yes, yes I can actually. I never ever saw the Broncos like so many did last year.

I’m going to give some advice (or anyone) that helped me unlock my annual fantasy performances considerably - starting about 5 years ago. The main thing is that you want to draft players who have the least amount of unknowns, in addition to erroring on ceiling upside against round/tier. And I’m not just talking about the player individually (of course) but the entire picture. The Broncos effectively had none of that for their offense last year. I’ll use R. Wilson as an example…

Wilson went from being under P. Carroll’s wing for his whole career to a new team, new system and new head coach - in his first year. Wilson is a system QB, who takes to much time in the pocket, doesn’t throw short over the middle because of his height and used to improvise well until his age caught up with him. On the upside he’s a stall-wort who has hardly ever been injured. Just knowing this about Wilson should leave anyone apprehensive about drafting not only him - at his then ADP - but any players who explicitly rely on him for their fantasy production. How do I validate the Carroll comment? Easy. G. Smith and it wasn’t just last year. Look what he did when he spelled Wilson from the only injury he ever had over a few games in '21. Excellence. He didn’t unlock Smith in '22, he did it in '21 and they knew it. :smirk:

I called Jeudy to be a bust - in my league I commish - after his roOkie year (when I drafted him late). I saw what he did the whole year - ‘Mr. Brick Hands’. Has that improved since then - yes. Has he lived up to his ADP since then? No. Does he have his best chance to succeed as a pro this year? Yes. Will I draft him? No.

Don’t even get me started on C.Sutton. This is a guy who I was curious about not long after Wilson arrived, but only because of his ADP. After some quick research I realized (with everything else) that he was fools gold. Sutton came into last year with a garbage career catch % and plenty of years to figure that out. That kind of stat tends to be sticky. My production and stature comp to him is D.J. Chark. He’s only had one season where he was barely start worthy. I know plenty might say… “well neither of these WR’s ever had a good situation at QB, so ya…” and I say re-read my summary on Wilson. GoOd, or especially great WR’s make their QB’s job easier. They level up the QB they’re playing with. Hill, Waddle, Adams, Diggs and Jefferson are wonderful examples of that. If either QB could choose to play with Jeudy & Sutton or Metcalf & Lockett - who do you think they’d go with?

J.Williams is the only player I was interested in drafting last year or this year from the Broncos (and did). This is a position that doesn’t exclusively rely on QB production and in some occasions, can be the player the team leans on. But he got injured - bummer. Still won my league anyways.

As far as these other 2-3 players you’re talking about? Broncos D? Yes. T. Patrick? Rookie G. Dulcich? Hardly anyone knew who these guys were going into last year, much less drafted them. The '22 Broncos pre-season hype was going from a crap QB situation to a statistically good QB, without considering much else.

On the other hand, the Jaguars are an ascending young team. If you want to talk about C. Ridley as an individual to fantasy or what he will do for the Jags offense, fine. But to try to compare the Jags - in any way - to the Broncos, no dude. Or that if Ridley is less than we thought that somehow the Jags are doomed. Again, no. Adding Ridley is like putting a decent turbo charger on an existing engine, that was already good. About the worst thing the Jags have done in the past 2 seasons is they over thought the 1st pick overall; taking the wrong DE. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes