2023 Keeper Advice: Hurts, Waddle, or Ridley?

I play in a 12 team, half PPR league with one keeper per year and I have the third pick. My best keeper options are Hurts in the 5th (pick 51), Waddle in the 9th (pick 99), or Ridley in the 15th (last round). You could make a case for all of them. Hurts has overall QB1 upside but the pick value may be the worst of the three. Waddle has a very high floor as a 1B WR in a good offense, but a lower ceiling with Hill lining up on the opposite side. Ridley has the best pick value but is still in a relatively unproven offense and hasn’t played in quite a while. I’m leaning Waddle since he’s a guaranteed high-end WR2 (barring Tua’s health) but I’m interested in hearing some feedback.

2 Likes

Welcome back!

Let’s toss Ridley aside to start. Sure, there’s plenty of upside, but there is also 2 years of head case and suspension.

Let’s look at guys who can perform, and we know it.

Waddle may be the better bargain, but Hurts for a 5th rounder is hard to top this year. That was his ADP last year. Since the league is only half PPR, that means Hurts is just a little more valuable,

Take Hurts and ignore the position until later in the draft.

1 Like

Getting a top 10 WR in the last round is something you dream about, as a fantasy football player.

I hope you don’t have to kick yourself all season for throwing that opportunity away.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! It’s definitely close between Hurts and Waddle. I’ll def be taking your advice into consideration.

1 Like

That’s the reason I included Ridley, the path to him becoming the alpha on a good offense is clear. However, with the other two I know what I’m getting. Ridley is a little murkier. Jags are expected to have a good offense but you never really know (look at the Broncos last year). Def something to think about, Thanks for the reply though!

1 Like

Waddle in 9 is the choice. Hurts in 5 can be replaced by a vg top 8 QB. No way in hell can you replace a Waddle in the 9th. Surprised it is a question.

1 Like

Axe Elf recommends that you read this thread before you write off Ridley.

1 Like

Ridley versus Waddle isn’t even a competition. Waddle wins that, regardless of “Ridley is back”.

1 Like

Let’s examine that.

Waddle’s last full season (2022) resulted in 221.7 half-PPR fantasy points and a WR7 finish. Waddle played all 17 games, averaging 13.0 ppg.

Ridley’s last full season (2020) resulted in 236.5 half-PPR fantasy points and a WR4 finish. Ridley played 13 games, averaging 15.8 ppg.

Waddle has basically the same situation–same team, same QB, same coaching.

Ridley goes from Matt Ryan and the middling Falcons to Trevor Lawrence and a projected playoff team. And if you read Calvin Ridley’s Letter to the League, you know you’re going to get his A-game this year.

I wouldn’t say it’s not a competition, but Waddle isn’t the winner.

1 Like

That’s the reason I included Ridley, the path to him becoming the alpha on a good offense is clear. However, with the other two I know what I’m getting. Ridley is a little murkier. Jags are expected to have a good offense but you never really know (look at the Broncos last year). Def something to think about, Thanks for the reply though!

Did you really just compare the Jags offense to the Broncdohs layered situation last season? You’re grounded. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Those who play in keeper leagues know that age is a factor. Ridley is 28 and the last time we saw him was in 2021.

Waddle is 24 and the last time we saw him was last season when he was great.

1 Like

You’re right, Broncos offense was laughably bad last year. But you can’t sit there and tell me that preseason there wasn’t a bunch of hype around their offense’s potential. There were 6-7 players in that offense that were considered solid-or-better draft choices last year. All I’m saying is that the Jags situation coming into this season seems similar to me. Doesn’t mean I think they are going to be bad, but the track record isn’t quite there yet and therefore there is a certain amount of risk baked into their offense. Ridley in particular, too, since this is his first year on this team after not playing for 1+ years and he’s not a young buck anymore.

You don’t often have a player open up the way Ridley did in that letter, thanks for sharing that.

1 Like

This is an excellent point when factoring in these guys as future keepers. The average WR’s prime starts to end in their late 20’s. There are always exceptions to the rule, but smart money bets on the beginning of a decline at that age. Waddle arguably has yet to reach his prime. Might have to make a Venn diagram or something to figure this out :rofl:

When you only get one keeper, though, age is no longer a consideration. There will ALWAYS be at least ONE player on your team worth keeping into the next year, regardless of age. If you’re trying to keep together a TEAM in a dynasty or multi-keeper format, then the age of its components matters. For a single keeper, no.

1 Like

Back to the Jaguars comparison to the Broncos…

Anyone paying last year would have seen the big flaw in the supposed “gem” that was supposed to be the Broncos season: Russell Wilson. In 2021, Wilson stunk in Seattle. Denver stupidly traded for him, and he stunk again. Anyone surprised? Nope.

Now we get the narrative that Sean Payton will resurrect Russell Wilson’s career. If Wilson wouldn’t listen to Pete Carroll or Nathaniel Hackett, what makes you think Payton can do anything with him? I’m not buying this.

As for the Jags, that offense can only get better if Ridley shows up to play. Otherwise, they still have many of the same pieces they had last year. Expect the Jags to win their division easily, good Ridley or bad.

1 Like

You’re right, Broncos offense was laughably bad last year. But you can’t sit there and tell me that preseason there wasn’t a bunch of hype around their offense’s potential. There were 6-7 players in that offense that were considered solid-or-better draft choices last year. All I’m saying is that the Jags situation coming into this season seems similar to me. Doesn’t mean I think they are going to be bad, but the track record isn’t quite there yet and therefore there is a certain amount of risk baked into their offense. Ridley in particular, too, since this is his first year on this team after not playing for 1+ years and he’s not a young buck anymore.

Yes, yes I can actually. I never ever saw the Broncos like so many did last year.

I’m going to give some advice (or anyone) that helped me unlock my annual fantasy performances considerably - starting about 5 years ago. The main thing is that you want to draft players who have the least amount of unknowns, in addition to erroring on ceiling upside against round/tier. And I’m not just talking about the player individually (of course) but the entire picture. The Broncos effectively had none of that for their offense last year. I’ll use R. Wilson as an example…

Wilson went from being under P. Carroll’s wing for his whole career to a new team, new system and new head coach - in his first year. Wilson is a system QB, who takes to much time in the pocket, doesn’t throw short over the middle because of his height and used to improvise well until his age caught up with him. On the upside he’s a stall-wort who has hardly ever been injured. Just knowing this about Wilson should leave anyone apprehensive about drafting not only him - at his then ADP - but any players who explicitly rely on him for their fantasy production. How do I validate the Carroll comment? Easy. G. Smith and it wasn’t just last year. Look what he did when he spelled Wilson from the only injury he ever had over a few games in '21. Excellence. He didn’t unlock Smith in '22, he did it in '21 and they knew it. :smirk:

I called Jeudy to be a bust - in my league I commish - after his roOkie year (when I drafted him late). I saw what he did the whole year - ‘Mr. Brick Hands’. Has that improved since then - yes. Has he lived up to his ADP since then? No. Does he have his best chance to succeed as a pro this year? Yes. Will I draft him? No.

Don’t even get me started on C.Sutton. This is a guy who I was curious about not long after Wilson arrived, but only because of his ADP. After some quick research I realized (with everything else) that he was fools gold. Sutton came into last year with a garbage career catch % and plenty of years to figure that out. That kind of stat tends to be sticky. My production and stature comp to him is D.J. Chark. He’s only had one season where he was barely start worthy. I know plenty might say… “well neither of these WR’s ever had a good situation at QB, so ya…” and I say re-read my summary on Wilson. GoOd, or especially great WR’s make their QB’s job easier. They level up the QB they’re playing with. Hill, Waddle, Adams, Diggs and Jefferson are wonderful examples of that. If either QB could choose to play with Jeudy & Sutton or Metcalf & Lockett - who do you think they’d go with?

J.Williams is the only player I was interested in drafting last year or this year from the Broncos (and did). This is a position that doesn’t exclusively rely on QB production and in some occasions, can be the player the team leans on. But he got injured - bummer. Still won my league anyways.

As far as these other 2-3 players you’re talking about? Broncos D? Yes. T. Patrick? Rookie G. Dulcich? Hardly anyone knew who these guys were going into last year, much less drafted them. The '22 Broncos pre-season hype was going from a crap QB situation to a statistically good QB, without considering much else.

On the other hand, the Jaguars are an ascending young team. If you want to talk about C. Ridley as an individual to fantasy or what he will do for the Jags offense, fine. But to try to compare the Jags - in any way - to the Broncos, no dude. Or that if Ridley is less than we thought that somehow the Jags are doomed. Again, no. Adding Ridley is like putting a decent turbo charger on an existing engine, that was already good. About the worst thing the Jags have done in the past 2 seasons is they over thought the 1st pick overall; taking the wrong DE. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I love your entire post! Good work!

1 Like