Should Kickers & D Be Eliminated from Fantasy?

There is growing talk of doing away with kickers and/or DST. Ir has been said they contribute little of nothing and are a waste of manager’s time.
I completely disagree. As recently as last season I won 3 games in the last few seconds on kicks or plays on D. I was on the edge of my seat and some want to take that away.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THEM? SQUISH THIS IDEA!

Who here does not remember a kick or play on D that made a difference?

1 Like

There is no law forcing league commissioners to adapt a certain way of scoring or roster construction. Each league will decide for their own, and that’s perfectly alright.

With that being said, I don’t mind doing away with K and D/ST. Simply because they are random.

At least, do away with points for defensive TDs. They are completely impossible to predict. It’s a totally random 6 point lottery. Sacks and INTs are at least somewhat predictable. But if an INT will turn into a pick 6 doesn’t even have a lot to do with the defense.

Personally, I like kickers. That said, I am in leagues that have K’s and DST’s, and then some that don’t. I don’t have an emphatic preference either way.

1 Like

Zak, TD;s on D like others happen when they happen. It is part of the game.

Some would prefer to eliminate TE and RB as well. We could have a QB, a back up and 6 WR’s. That’s what some have come to. How is that football?

I can make a team ranking for offensive TDs. The accuracy is usually in the 70-80% range.

Can you make a ranking which team will score how many defensive TDs this season?

Absolutely not and that is what makes it fun and part of the game since it’s inception.

Your accuracy does not include who teams play, injuries, weather, etc, etc.
That is a game by game analysis,

Oh, did you hear from our Euro friend on the draft Sunday?

A certain element of randomness is part of the game. But this one is 100% random. Might as well play the lottery then.

In my main dynasty league, we adapted a scoring system for D/ST that awards tiered points for offensive points allowed. Offensive instead of total opponent points, because a D shouldn’t be downgraded just because the team’s offensive unit caused a pick 6. The D wasn’t even on the field then.

I hope I can convince the other owners to reduce the number of points for defensive TDs to 3 next year.

It’s scheduled for this Sunday, 2pm ET.

Casual fantasy players usually prefer elements that introduce greater randomness and greater parity among team owners, for the obvious reason that it gives them a better chance to win. Their skill players may suck, but they get a random TD from their defense and a couple 50 yarders from their K and they squeak out a win anyway!

For the same reason, snake drafts in which everyone has to wait their turn to make it more “fair” are preferred by the casual owners, rather than more advanced auction formats which require more skill and player knowledge to successfully navigate.

I tend to gravitate toward more complex auction leagues–especially ones that don’t utilize Ks or Ds–because that’s where my advanced skills give me the greatest advantage.

I can’t begrudge lesser players preferring a more randomized format, because that’s what gives THEM the best chance of winning.

Got the draft moved back to 1 ET for both of us. I’m gonna have some fun with
3 drafts on Sunday, 1, 3 and 7 and all very different.

A certain element of randomness is part of the game. But this one is 100% random. Might as well play the lottery then.

In my main dynasty league, we adapted a scoring system for D/ST that awards tiered points for offensive points allowed. Offensive instead of total opponent points, because a D shouldn’t be downgraded just because the team’s offensive unit caused a pick 6. The D wasn’t even on the field then.

I hope I can convince the other owners to reduce the number of points for defensive TDs to 3 next year. ZAK

_________________________________________________________________–

My question is that all playing fantasy fell in love with the NFL game and now believe they are smart enough to change it. Why and for what?

I would follow a Billion dollar industry as opposed to some guy treating this like a video game you want to make better. Just my view.