Drafting in a league passing TDs worth 6 points

Silly question but I usually draft quarterbacks late in drafts but with this league where TDs for QBs are worth 6 points, I need to draft a QB sooner? The rankings basically have the top 16 QBs ranked in the top 30.

Meh, itā€™s a slight advantage for high volume TD producers, but the main thing is that it lowers the rushing QBsā€™ advantage because their rushing TDs are now worth as much as everyone elseā€™s passing TDs.

So it devalues Allen/Hurts types more than it benefits Mahomes/Brady types.

If itā€™s a 10/12 team league that starts 1 QB, I wouldnā€™t go crazy. Get Cousins in the 8th and youā€™ll be fine.

1 Like

I really appreciate the feedback. Thatā€™s exactly what I was thinking too! Thank you!

It devalues Josh Allen? He threw for 40 TDs in 2020 and 36 TDs last year. Thatā€™s 8o and 72 extra fantasy points in a 6 point league, compared to a standard 4 point one. Pray tell, how do these extra points ā€œdevalueā€ him?

Even Hurts with his meager 16 TDs gets extra value, just not as much.

A simple comparison based on 2021 numbers confirms:

Player P-Yds P-TDs R-Yds R-TDs FFP (4 pt) FFP (6 pt) Diff
Josh Allen 4407 36 763 6 477 549 72
Justin Herbert 5014 38 261 3 447 523 76
Patrick Mahomes 4839 37 381 2 440 514 74
Aaron Rodgers 4115 37 101 3 382 456 74
Kirk Cousins 4221 33 115 1 361 427 66
Jalen Hurts 3144 16 784 10 360 392 32
Trevor Lawrence 3641 12 334 2 275 299 24

The QB ranking in a 6-point league is the same, but all QBs benefit from the extra 2 points per passing TD. And a high-TD guy like Cousins will benefit more than a rushing-focused QB like Hurts.

But claiming that this system devalues Players like Josh Allen is a typical AxeElf statement: it may give you the warm and fuzzies. But if you look at the numbers, itā€™s complete nonsense and simply ignores the facts.

Allen gives you 120 points more than Cousins. So you can sacrifice 60 points on RB and still get a much better overall team result. 60 points was the difference between Ezekiel Elliott and Devin Singletary in half PPR last year.

Cousins in the 8th would still qualify as a value pick. If he was still there by then. Which he wonā€™t be if your league mates understand the scoring dynamic in this league better than Axel does.

1 Like

I thought I explained that. His rushing TDs are now not as much of an advantage, since all TDs are 6 points.

Yeah, thatā€™s what you wrote. Repeating it doesnā€™t make it any less nonsense.

In 2021, Allen outscored Cousins by 116 points in a 4-point league.
And by 122 points in a 6-point league.

On what planet does that qualify as ā€˜devaluationā€™?

1 Like

I think the point is it closes the gap between qbs, especially qbs that throw a lot of TDs when compared to the rush dominant QBs ?

Boys play nice

There is a dynamic when you compare Cousins and Hurts. They score almost identical numbers in 4-point leagues, but in a 6-point one, Cousins is clearly ahead of Hurts.

But it does not devalue a QB just because he has rushing upside.

It may shift the rankings among QBs a little bit, and favors those who throw for many TDs. But among 2 QBs with an identical passer profile, the one with rushing upside is still more valuable than the one without it.

And every QB is more valuable in a 6-point league than in a 4-point league, compared to other skill position players.

The math is quite simple:

An RB or WR with 1,500 yards and 15 TDs gets:
240 FFP in a 4-point league
240 FFP in a 6-point league

A QB with 3,000 yards and 20 TDs gets:
230 FFP in a 4-point league
270 FFP in a 6-point league

That shows how the QB position is definitely more valuable in 6-point leagues. And that it absolutely makes sense to spend an earlier draft pick on a QB with a high TD count.

Thank you for answering your own question; it makes my job that much easier.

Youā€™re comparing QBs to the other positions. The relevant comparison is to other QBs.

Kickers usually score the most points for their fantasy teams over the course of the season; you donā€™t take one in the second round because relative to each other, they all score about the same.

The same rule applies to both 4 pt and 6 pt leagues. The salient difference is that QBs who rely on rushing TDs are devalued in 6 pt leagues relative to other QBs who do not.

Thank you for confirming you donā€™t understand your own posts. So itā€™s not just us.

Ah, weā€™re down to ā€œrely on rushing TDsā€. Your first post implied that all QBs who scored rushing TDs were devalued, and you gave Josh Allen as an example.

The statement still makes no sense, though. Any QB who has rushing upside will always be more valuable than a QB with similar passing stats, but no rushing upside. Unless you gave a QB negative points for rushing TDs.

The only correct statement here is (and this really isnā€™t much of a revelation):

In a 6 point league, QBs with many passing TDs gain more value than those with few passing TDs.

Period. The end.

Lighten up the mood with a joke. I like that. :rofl:

Letā€™s ignore the ridiculous ā€œKs score the most fantasy pointsā€ part and focus on this one, as this is actually correct.

The key factor when deciding which position to address in any given round of the draft is: ā€œHow many fantasy points will I lose if I draft a player for that position only in the next round?ā€

At the top tiers, the dropoff is steepest for RBs. Thatā€™s why it does make sense to draft an elite RB first. Even in SFLEX leagues, even in 6 pt leagues.

But the curve flattens quicker for RBs and WRs than it does for QBs.

Passing on the #1 player and going for the #7 instead costs you following half-PPR points per game:
QB: -5.3
RB: -7.8
WR: -5.9

So if you draft early in the first round, you will take an elite RB.

But in the late 2nd or in the 3rd round, things look different already. Letā€™s assume the top 6 for each position are off the board already, so you now have to decide whether to take the #7 guy on the position, or settle for the #13 in a later round:

QB: -3.7
RB: -3.4
WR: -1.5

It would make more sense to go after a QB at this point already.

And another 1-2 rounds later, when you have to decide between the #13 and the #19 guy, it looks like this:

QB: -1.8
RB: -1.1
WR: -0.8

So the statement that ā€œQBs all score about the sameā€ is blatantly false. They donā€™t, as the above numbers (that are based on a 5-year average of an actual league) clearly show.

And the above numbers are based on a 4 point league. In a 6 point league, the dropoff among QBs will be even steeper.

As my statistics demonstrated, QB6-QB17 last year averaged about 18.5 ppg, plus or minus 3 points.

That is the truth.

You can define ā€œabout the sameā€ differently than I do, if you want, but given that I consider plus or minus 3 points to be ā€œabout the same,ā€ my claim is demonstrably true.

Your analysis also suffers from not considering that you need 2-3 stud RBs and 2-3 stud WRs, but only one average QB.

Looks like you worked hard on it, though, so props for diligence, if not for relevance.

Kickers usually score the most points for their fantasy teams over the course of the season

Iā€™m sorry almighty Elf. I beg your forgiveness for my simple-mindedness. But, please, could you explain to me how it is that ā€œkickersā€ usually score the most points in fantasy over the course of the season than QBā€™s? I am honestly asking because I KNOW that Iā€™m not as smart as you (who could be) and I need to know what kickers have outscored QBā€™s in fantasy football so that I can change my draft strategiesā€¦ Thanks buddy!

1 Like

Kickers usually score the most points for their fantasy teams over the course of the season

Elf on a shelf? Iā€™m still waiting. Please elaborate on this topic. I know you can hear me!