AFC East Preview

Let’s get the preseason predictions started, with the AFC East:

1. Bills (11-6 last season): The only real difference between the Bills last season and this season is the hangover the Bills have from how they got bounced from the playoffs last year. I expect the intensity will be turned up a notch this year. While James Cook is an interesting addition, I don’t expect him to matter, since Josh Allen isn’t known for dumping off to RB’s. Prediction: 12-5 and division winner.

2. Patriots (10-7 last season): The only real difference here is Mac Jones is another year more experienced. Although we might see a bit more Rhamondre Stevenson, who I believe could be a top 5 RB if they ever let him off the leash. Other than that, not much changed here. Prediction: 10-7, competing for a wild card berth.

3. Jets (4-13 last season): The Jets had the best offseason of any of the teams in this division. I might even consider them as an outside shot to dethrone the Bills. But because they are still young, I’m only giving them a near .500 record. Prediction: 9-8, out of the playoffs.

4. Dolphins (9-8 last season): How can I predict the Dolphins to be the cellar-dwellers of the AFC East? After acquiring Tyreek Hill, the mainstay of the Chiefs offense? Easy: Tua can’t stay healthy, having only played 13 games last season. In addition, I don’t have faith that Tyreek can replicate the success he had with the Chiefs. They let him go for some reason, and I don’t think it was strictly about money. Tyreek is 28, when most receivers start to decline. Because his game is primarily based on speed, even if he is “just” a step slower, it could kill his production. Remember, Tyreek is only 5’10" and 185 pounds. This isn’t a guy who is going to contest catches into his 30’s. Finally, the Dolphins will be running the ball more ala their new San Francisco coaching staff, but with what? Raheem Mostert? Sony Michel? Myles Gaskin? The Dolphins RB room is beginning to look like Houston’s last year, and it ain’t pretty. Prediction: They should start strong, but injuries will take their toll and they will end up 5-12.

P.S. My win-loss predictions are based on the strength/weaknesses of the teams, not an in-depth rundown of the schedule.

1 Like

No issues here. The Bills main focus in training camp will be on winning coin tosses in overtime. Because that was their biggest weakness last year. :sweat_smile:

The Patriots are a contender, because a) Mac Jones was good as a rookie already, and is likely to get even better, and b) because they are the Patriots.

The Jets will be improved, and have the potential to surprise us. 9-8 or 8-9 sounds realistic.

And yeah, the Dolphins… they looked like they were on a very clear path to success under Brian Flores, who seemed to have a good plan. And then suddenly, he lost it. We meanwhile know why, and those reasons haven’t gone away. I don’t think such a franchise can be successful.

I am more positive on Tua, and even think Hill will have another strong season or two in Miami. But it won’t be enough to get them anywhere close to a playoff spot. And their backfield is indeed one big red fantasy flag this year. Chase Edmonds is also there, as is Salvon Ahmed, who showed flashes at times. I don’t expect him to make the 53 man roster, though. That still leaves 4 potentially startable RBs, plus fullback Alec Ingold. It’s easier to read the Patriots or Niners backfield than that mess.

1 Like

Chase Edmonds is a glorified 3rd down back, and nothing more.

And don’t get me wrong, I like Tua. But without a running game, that puts all the pressure on Tua, and I don’t see him as a dominant QB. He’s just solid, and only if you surround him with talent. The WR’s are nice, and Gesicki is good, but the RB’s are a mess.

1 Like