3 Super Deep 2022 RB Sleepers

Browsing through my watch list, I noticed that I have 3 RBs on there who go undrafted in most leagues. If you play a league with deep rosters they may be worth a thought if you find them on the waiver wire.

Dontrell Hilliard, TEN

Derrick Henry will turn 28 on Sunday. That’s typically the age cliff for RBs. He got injured last year, and Hilliard looked surprisingly good in a backup fuction, racking up 350 yards and 2 TDs on 56 touches. That’s a 6.3 yard average.

Whom will the Titans turn to, should Henry go down again? Chances are they will check what they have in rookie Hassan Haskins. But his college tape didn’t convince me. I don’t think he can step into Henry’s footsteps. Hilliard could retain the RB2 role for the Titans, making him a valuable asset, in case Henry misses more time this year.

Kene Nwangwu, MIN

Did you know that Nwangwu racked up 649 yards and 2 TDs for the Vikings last year, while playing only 9 games? That would translate into 1,225 yards if he had played all 17 games.

The catch is: he did that as a returner. A role in which he was exceptional, thanks to his blazing speed. We can but wonder what he would look like if got a notable share of the regular backfield.

His problem: he’s got Dalvin Cook and Alexander Mattison ahead of him on the depth chart, and Mattison was a very competent backup when Cook was injured in 2021. But there still is a glimmer of hope for Nwangwu.

The 2022 Vikings intend to pass more. Mattison isn’t much of a pass catcher, while Nwangwu has rather good hands. And blazing speed, in case I haven’t mentioned that yet.

Should Cook miss time, Nwangwu could see increased usage on passing downs. If that would be enough to give him FLEX appeal remains to be seen. But if he can do as a pass-catching back what he’s already proven to be able to as a returner, he could be an intriguing option in PPR formats. Think of him as a much faster version of Nyheim Hines or JD McKissic.

Derrius Guice, FA

Could Guice make a comeback in the NFL? There are some rumors, though so far, no team seems to have shown any interest.

Keep in mind that Guice is still young - 25 years, but hardly any usage. And he was a 2nd round pick in 2018. The talent is there. Sadly, so are the character concerns.

There’s one team I see that might need somebody like Guice soon: the New Orleans Saints. Kamara is highly likely to miss a good portion of the 2022 season, thanks to his legal woes. And the Saints are short-staffed on RB. They have Mark Ingram, but he’s a hundred years old. They have Tony Jones, but he had his opportunity last year, and blew it.

The free agent market looks pretty dry as well. Guice may not warrant a fantasy roster spot yet, but keep him firmly on your radar. As soon as there is even a remote chance the Saints consider him, grab him immediately.