2023 First Mock Draft

Just tried a Yahoo mock draft. I assume this is redraft, since Yahoo doesn’t really specify. I took the first pick in a snaking draft:

1.01. Bijan Robinson (Atl - RB): Yahoo’s recommended pick was CMC, but it’s hard to pass on Bijan.
2.12. Garrett Wilson (NYJ - WR): Gotta love the potential here with Aaron Rodgers.
3.01. Najee Harris (Pit - RB): If Pittsburgh has improved their o-line, Najee could feast.
4.12. Drake London (Atl - WR): London looked pretty good last year with Ridder at QB, even with Pitts injured.
5.01. Christian Watson (GB - WR): I liked what I saw from Watson last year. He could be a first round talent if Jordan Love is the real deal.
6.12. Trevor Lawrence (Jax - QB): Lawrence has been thriving under Doug Petersen. He could be the Jalen Hurts of this season.
7.01. Evan Engram (Jax - TE): Not a top 3 TE, but if he can pick up a few extra TD’s, Evan could slip into the top 5.
8.12. George Pickens (Pit - WR): Pickens might be the best WR on Pittsburgh. Worth an 8th round gamble.
9.01. Jahan Dotson (Was - WR): I could have easily taken Dotson before Pickens with these back-to-back picks. To me, Dotson is the alpha in Washington, and with another year under his belt he might just show it.
10.12. Derek Carr (NO - QB): I expect Carr to ball out this year, easily top 12. Hearing that Gruden was spotted in the Saints OTA’s can only be a good thing, as Carr was never better than under Gruden.
11.01. Tyler Allgeier (Atl - RB): Bijan’s handcuff.
12.12. Kendre Miller (NO - RB): Miller might get the bulk of the carries while Kamara is on suspension. If he does good enough, the Saints may not look back.
13.01. Michael Mayer (LV - TE): Who else is gonna play TE in Vegas? Easily the best TE on their roster.
14.12. Brandon McManus (Jax - K): Had to pick somebody.
15.01. Jacksonville (Jax - DEF): Again, had to pick somebody.

2 Likes

These picks would be easier to mock if you posted the full draft order, at least the first five or six rounds, so we can see what you gave up to draft Garrett Wilson at 2.12, for instance.

Like the Harris and London picks, though, and Bijan is the obvious #1, so good job there.

To answer your question at #13, they also brought in Austin Hooper, who would axually be a better bet as the Raiders’ featured TE in 2023; rookie TE’s notoriously need a year to acclimate to the NFL, especially with an adequate veteran like Hooper on the roster to mentor them. But Mayer is your TE2, so no harm, really.

And a handcuff, in a mock? Really?

1 Like

Here’s the first two rounds:

Round 1
(1) Ed - Bijan Robinson (Atl - RB)
(2) Tre - Justin Jefferson (Min - WR)
(3) Jimmy - Christian McCaffrey (SF - RB)
(4) Timothy - Ja’Marr Chase (Cin - WR)
(5) Brian - Austin Ekeler (LAC - RB)
(6) KAIAMON - Jonathan Taylor (Ind - RB)
(7) Team 7 - Saquon Barkley (NYG - RB)
(8) Team 8 - Travis Kelce (KC - TE)
(9) Team 9 - Tyreek Hill (Mia - WR)
(10) Team 10 - Cooper Kupp (LAR - WR)
(11) Stephen - Nick Chubb (Cle - RB)
(12) lee - Stefon Diggs (Buf - WR)

Round 2
(1) lee - Derrick Henry (Ten - RB)
(2) Stephen - CeeDee Lamb (Dal - WR)
(3) Team 10 - Josh Jacobs (LV - RB)
(4) Team 9 - Davante Adams (LV - WR)
(5) Team 8 - Tony Pollard (Dal - RB)
(6) Team 7 - Breece Hall (NYJ - RB)
(7) KAIAMON - Travis Etienne Jr. (Jax - RB)
(8) Brian - Rhamondre Stevenson (NE - RB)
(9) Timothy - A.J. Brown (Phi - WR)
(10) Jimmy - Patrick Mahomes (KC - QB)
(11) Tre - Amon-Ra St. Brown (Det - WR)
(12) Ed - Garrett Wilson (NYJ - WR)

And yes, when you reach the later rounds, you are already looking at alot of second string RB’s anyway. Why not take the handcuff?

Because in the billions and billions of mock drafts ever drafted, no one has ever needed a handcuff.

Still don’t like Wilson, but I guess it’s more that I don’t like the options that were available to you at that pick than that you did anything wrong.

1 Like

In the 11th round of any redraft league, how many starting RB’s are left? Usually, none. At best, you get someone on the short side of an RBBC. Mostly, it’s second and third string RB’s. At least with the handcuff, I get insurance for my 1.01.

So the lesson you could learn from this would be to make sure you have your full complement of RBs earlier. Then you could learn from Axe Elf’s mock draft, and be picking up WR talent like Kadarius Toney in the 11th, instead of a handcuff that won’t help your team.

(Even in a real life draft, if you draft Robinson and he goes down, Allgeier won’t save your season; Patterson will just get a bigger slice of the pie.)

Yahoo is good but I prefer to use the simulator from our front page, especially after signing up for 6 months premium in July and being able to up the competition. Now it is too easy. I did 3 with 3 A+'s.

Mediocre starting RB in the earlier rounds, or good alpha WR’s? Sometimes, those are your options. I’d rather gamble on the second string RB’s later.

I like the team and Miller late. A hand cuff in the 11th is nothing to bitch and moan about and good insurance with no better options.

1 Like