Mock Draft1 of 2023!

Let’s play Mock Draft! This is an exercise in seeing who the best players available are at any pick, as determined by whomever makes the pick!

The rules for this draft are simple: Anyone can pick at any time, but nobody can pick twice in a row. For example, I make the first pick, then somebody else will pick the 1.02, but that person can’t also pick the 1.03. We will assume a 12 man league, so after 1.12, then we go on to 2.01. We will go 10 rounds.

We will only be drafting QB, RB, WR, TE. This is NOT about filling a roster, but rather picking the best player available based on what players are left.

For this first mock, we will assume a single QB redraft league with PPR scoring.

I will make the 1.01 pick: WR Justin Jefferson. Even if this were dynasty, with single QB PPR, JJ is the megastud of non-QB’s. While Austin Ekeler outscored him last year, I’d be surprised to see Ekeler have the same kind of volume again this year.

Next up: 1.02.

At 1.02 I chuckle at the guy picking ahead of me for drafting a player who is a rich candidate for regression to the mean, while I draft the most valuable player in fantasy football for 2023, RB Bijan Robinson of the Atlanta Falcons.

1 Like

Don’t think I wasn’t tempted to take Bijan! But I decided to take the sure thing first. The floor was safer with JJ.

With pick 1.03, I will take RB Christian McCaffrey. He feels pretty safe here. Ekeler was again my other choice, but CMC seems safer in Frisco.

Up next: 1.04!

FTFY… As someone who won a couple of championships last year despite Jefferson’s “safe floor” in Championship Week 17.

Still waiting on pick 1.04…

Is this dynasty, redraft or keeper?

Regardless, 'Lil Elfie too my pick which gives more reason for me to dislike him LOL

I go with Jon Taylor. RPO is gonna be crazy for Indy in the red zone.

1 Like

If you don’t know who Axe Elf is, you don’t play fantasy football.

1 Like

From the first post: “For this first mock, we will assume a single QB redraft league with PPR scoring”

1 Like

Picks so far:

1.01: WR Justin Jefferson
1.02: RB Bijan Robinson
1.03: RB Christian McCaffrey
1.04: RB Jonathon Taylor

Now for pick 1.05: In a PPR league, I have to go with RB Austin Ekeler. Even if he regresses to a mean, he’s still a safe first round pick, and a steal here.

Up next: Pick 1.06…

Just so the board doesn’t embarrass itself, we should probly make 1.06 Ja’Marr Chase, as he could well be the league’s top fantasy WR in 2023.

At 1.07, I will take WR Davante Adams. Even if he regresses this year, he will still be the main weapon for the Raiders.

Next up: 1.08…

1.08 Barkley is the easy choice.

Updated list:

1.01: WR Justin Jefferson
1.02: RB Bijan Robinson
1.03: RB Christian McCaffrey
1.04: RB Jonathon Taylor
1.05 RB Austin Ekeler
1.06 WR Ja’Marr Chase
1.07 WR Davante Adams
1.08 RB Saquon Barkley

For 1.09, I have to go with the obvious choice: QB Patrick Mahomes.

1.10 is on the clock…

This is definitely a draft worth mocking.

Jefferson #1, Taylor #4, Mahomes in the first round… heed the warning of this thread, all ye who enter here!

1.10 has to be the Dallas Defense, no?

I said no K’s or DST’s. Try again.

1.10 is still on the clock…