Should Consolation Games Be Eliminated?

Exactly. If a consolation game is for a higher ranking, which means a winner suddenly gets a worse draft pick but nothing else (i.e. cash prize), then there is absolutely every reason to tank the game. But consolation games for a higher draft pick are almost unfair, since the team with the better record will likely beat a worse team that needs the earlier draft pick more.

1 Like

All consolation games are not created equal. 3rd place means something, even if there is no official prize. The equivalent is being on the podium in Formula 1 or getting a bronze medal at the Olympics. The 3rd vs. 4th consolation game matters.

Now, me losing as the #7 seed to the #8 seed…that consolation game was pointless.

1 Like

Good point and I agree. If you are in the playoff and going for a title, the hell with draft order or you should not be playing.

Do you favor going to 15 games and 4 playoff teams?

I disagree. At the Olympics, you get a medal. In F1, you get a trophy and points for the championship. In both events, you are on the podium.

But imagine 4th place in F1 gave more points than 3rd place. We would suddenly see a lot of mysterious power losses or inexplicable braking errors in the final lap…

Let’s be honest, in fantasy football, only the championship gives you bragging rights.

So at least make the 3rd Place Game meaningful by giving the winner the better draft pick. Both teams shouldn’t be vastly different in terms of roster strength, and the #9 or #10 pick in a 12-team league isn’t a huge difference, either. So it’s not like you’re distorting the league here.

But at least, you have something to play for in week 17. If the only “reward” for winning 3rd place is an inferior draft position, the other team can have all the 3rd place glory, and I’ll happily take the week 17 L, along with the better pick.

How much of a difference is there between 7 and 8 in the first? I see little and with snake te advantage is reversed in the 2nd.

Good point. In the South Beach league, chances are the difference is exactly zero, if you keep your 1st round player. A later draft position could even be beneficial, if you intend to keep more even-round players than odd-round ones.

1 Like

This is why Ed’s complaining on drafting 8th made no sense at all. He won vs Kevin who has Case as his keeper and is going nowhere.

We were discussing consolation games in general, not our specific league, when I said:

Yes but this was your comment before that one. edmcgonRegular

SoBe717

7d

What @ZakHH just said. Next time I’ll start my worst roster.

And what’s the title of the post? “Should Consolation Games Be Eliminated?” it was not specifically about any one consolation game.

And yes, I would tank a consolation game if it meant getting a better draft pick, even by just one slot.