- He understands route running and has a little shake to him. It shows after the catch, as well.
- Thicc boy — he is 265 pounds and holds it like a video game character.
- Ferocious blocker. Out for blood in the run game.
- Slow. Not a vertical threat by any means.
- Featured heavily in Notre Dame’s scheme. His numbers are a touch inflated by the lack of talent around him.
Player comp: Jason Witten
Most TE’s aren’t vertical threats. It’s a nice to have, but not mandatory. To me, TE’s are your first checkdown, before you give up and toss it to an RB.
Now there are some special TE’s who are like WR’s (hello Kyle Pitts and Travis Kelce!). But most aren’t. My main thing for TE’s is HANDS! Catch everything!
I expect Mayer to be good but doubtful this year without a very good fit.