I had my home league draft tonight. It’s a free league, but I know all the guys in it, and it is mostly for bragging rights.
About the league: It is redraft, PPR, superflex. The starting roster consists of QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, K, DST, W/R/T, and W/R/T/Q. There are 8 bench spots.
I drafted in the 5th spot among 12 teams. The draft order is determined randomly at the start of the draft:
- RB Najee Harris: Anyone who knows me saw this one coming. Drafting in the 5th spot, this is a steal to me.
- RB Alvin Kamara: Arguably early to be filling the flex position, but I like Kamara here. On a side note, I won’t be getting Kyle Pitts in this draft. I had forgotten all the Falcon fans in this group. Pitts went one pick before I got Kamara. This changed my draft strategy immensely. Stay tuned…
- WR A.J. Brown: When I might have taken Pitts, I instead took Brown, who might even challenge for top 5 WR status.
- WR Jaylen Waddle: Solid WR2.
- QB Jalen Hurts: After filling my main starters, I got the QB1 I wanted. Getting the Hurts-Brown connection could be profitable this year.
- RB Rhamondre Stevenson: This is a bit of a reach, but he was the best option here. But I got a bigger surprise later in the draft.
- WR Hunter Renfrow: I try not to leave a draft without “3rd and Renfrow”, even if he is just warming my bench now.
- QB Derek Carr: Got my superflex done!
- RB Damien Harris: in the first place, I was surprised to see Harris still sitting out there in the 7th and 8th rounds. But Harris in the 9th round was just too good to be believed! Now I have the New England handcuffs!
- TE Cole Kmet: This was the best of some bad choices. But if you have to forego talent at any position, TE is a decent place to do it.
- RB Kenneth Walker: I didn’t expect Walker to drop this far, but here he is, and now he’s mine!
- QB Jameis Winston: I decided to make sure I have 3 good QB’s. In addition, this allows me to stream matchups in my superflex position.
- RB Zamir White: You can never have too many RB’s. I have a small zip code of them!
- WR Garrett Wilson: When you can get a team’s best WR this late in the draft, why not?
- TE Isaiah Likely: the fact Baltimore is talking about using more 2 TE sets tells you all you need to know about Likely’s talent. The kid catches everything!
- K Brandon McManus: I told you earlier about all the Falcon fans in this league? Younghoe Koo went in the 9th round, in the middle of a run on kickers which started in the 8th round and went through most of the 9th (non-kickers accounted for just 4 of the 12 picks in the 9th). Anyway, back to McManus. If there is one thing I learned a long time ago, it is take Denver kickers when you aren’t sure which kicker to take. Love that thin mile high air!
- DST Las Vegas: Homer time!
My week 1 starting roster looks like this:
QB Jalen Hurts
RB Najee Harris
WR A.J. Brown
WR Jaylen Waddle
TE Cole Kmet
Flex Alvin Kamara
SFlex Jameis Winston (vs. Atlanta)
K Brandon McManus
DST Las Vegas