OT- A Different Perspective

Many here, as am I, obsessed with fantasy football. Something to think about:

My driver from LYFT showed up and in conversation asked how old he was.
He is 99 years old from Cuba, was an electrical engineer and fell 25 feet in an elevator shaft fot be disabled (quick version).

He spoke broken English but his wife was an English Prof at UCAL and his daughter is a fifhter pilot in the Air Force, I saw many pics and an article they did on him in Cali,

Meanwhile he is delivering pizza and driving for lyft (two jobs) because he is so happy in what he gave his family and what he is doing.

I was BLOWN AWAY.

1 Like

I still remember a cab ride I had in DC, close to 40 years ago. The driver was an older guy, who had literally just learned how to read. He was so proud of himself, as I was for him. He was talking about the books he had just read, and I couldn’t help but to share in his joy.

We take so much for granted, as we are quite lucky. But there are others who live alongside us who truly appreciate this world far more than we do. Never underestimate your own blessings.

1 Like

My most memorable cab ride took place in Almaty, Kazakhstan, some 10 years ago. My usual driver had a small accident on the way to pick me up, so I took a regular cab. That turned out to be an old, but very clean Dacia with a driver who was well past 70.

He greeted me and immediately told me he wanted to guess where I was from.
“Are you American?” - Nope.
“British?” - Sorry, no.
“Etes vous Francais?” - Non.
“Türkiyeli misin?” - Hayir.

“Okay, I give up. Where are you from?” - Germany.

“Ah, Deutsch, natürlich”, he replied, and went on in almost flawless German: “I always wanted to read Goethe and Schiller, but never found the time. So all I read in my life were Tolstoi and Shakespeare.”

I was speechless. Asked him how many languages he spoke, and the reply really dropped my jaw.

Russian, Kazakh, Turkish, English, German, Italian and French, and a little Mandarin. “But not very good, I can make only a little conversation with Chinese guests.”

8 languages. And not just that, he proved to be quite knowledgeable about my home country, as we continued to discuss our national poets.

I asked him how he came to learn so many languages. Turns out he had been a simple factory worker all his life. Over the years, they had seen more and more international visitors. He had always found it quite easy to learn new languages. So he made a habit out of learning the languages of their foreign business partners and earned some extra money by working as an interpreter for the factory management.

After he had retired, he immediately decided to keep working as a cabbie, as that allowed him to continue making use of his language skills.

A truly humbling experience. And he was also excellent as a driver.

2 Likes

Zak, quite an intriguing reply to wake Sherlock. Thought you could be upper Air Force but German and a fan of Anna Karenina and Bill says no. Oh well.

1 Like

We have an air force here in Germany, too. But no, I am a passioned aviation nerd, but performed my military service in the German Navy.

I work in logistics, and specialized in mining projects for some time. That led me to regions like Kazakhstan (including the rural north, in winter :cold_face:), the Kyrgyz highlands or Mongolia.

ZakHHRegular

21m

We have an air force here in Germany, too. But no, I am a passioned aviation nerd, but performed my military service in the German Navy.

I work in logistics, and specialized in mining projects for some time. That led me to regions like Kazakhstan (including the rural north, in winter :cold_face:), the Kyrgyz highlands or Mongolia.
____________________________________________________________–
You do but, not with a base there to my knowledge.

Sounds fascinating, guessing many adventures. I am jealous.