Damar Hamlin Injury

The NFL just announced the game will not resume this week and there will be no change in the week 18 schedule.

Bottom line, there is no good choice and we will look at this again later.

Now fantasy has to decide what to do. Flipping the player scores to week 18 is the best available option.

3 Likes

Goes without saying that I would be fine with that in the South Beach league. Regardless of what Yahoo comes up with.

This situation with this game reminds me of this much bigger story:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/11/20/black-sunday-nfl-plays-after-jfks-assassination

The game status of the Week 17 Bills-Bengals game is undetermined at this time. Week 17 scoring and matchup results could change should the game be played at a later date. Please bookmark this article to monitor the latest updates or follow @YahooFantasy.

This just in from Yahoo. It appears they will go with the results as is but could change. We should know in the morning.

1 Like

An interesting follow-up piece about the options the NFL has:
Taking a look at the options for proceeding with the 2022 regular season - NBC Sports

Strangely, one of the best ideas was posted in the comments:

Cancel Bengals/Bills game and add an 8th playoff team on the AFC side so no one wins a bye for having the 1 seed.

The Chiefs will be ticked off, but it is the most fair option. Of course, ticking off the Chiefs is just icing on the cake for me.

Glad you said it, so I don’t have to. :sweat_smile:

In a situation where there are only bad solutions, this does indeed appear to be one of the less bad ones.

Yet still, I am surprised that finishing the game tonight and moving the week 18 games for the Bills and Bengals to MNF wasn’t an option.

Yahoo has posted the scores including MNF and declared Zak the league champion. Adding that the results may change if the NLF chooses to play the game in future.

I will not override that decision but will make the results final.

My reasons are in looking at the score of our title game Zak is ahead by 25 points with Josh Allen left vs Mack with Joe Burrow and TE Knox left to play.

Anything could happen but chances of the outcome changing are minuscule. Add in the chances of players sitting out week 18 which could be more unfair and our best option is to leave the results as they are.

I make this final as our league season is finished and there should be no reason to reopen this. it is not the perfect solution but there is none and for this league this makes the most sense.

1 Like

Hamlin is still in critical condition, could die or have brain damage. Asking his brothers in arms to come back to the same field where they lived a nightmare and saw their own mortality s something I could never even imagine doing, let alone asking anyone else to.

I applaud your decision!
applause2

Oh hell, now I have to change it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you ever had a family member die? Having just lost my father a few weeks ago, and more than a few funerals in my lifetime, I can attest to the seeing my “own mortality” in the events. Every time somebody dies in my life, I can feel my own mortality getting closer and closer. But I will not stop living just because I know I will someday die.

By the way, what happens if the Bills have to play the Bengals in the playoffs?

I am reminded of the words of Dylan Thomas in “Do not go gentle into that good night”:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

1 Like

What’s changed in the past 10 years?

(Start at 2:15, if it doesn’t automatically.)

It’s crazy ironic that they referenced this during the Tulane v USC Cotton Bowl game earlier on the day of Hamlin’s injury.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing that!

1 Like

Ed, I have seen enough death for the Reaper and I to be on a first name basis and I believe Grimmy has cut me a couple of breaks

2 Likes

The NFL Will Not Resume the Bills - Bengals Game

Game over.

1 Like

I though as much when I made my decision of calling our season over. There was no place to put this game. Time to move on.

1 Like

Damar Hamlin is back on Twitter.

Now that we know he dodged neurologic damage, I am fairly optimistic that he will make a full recovery. Here’s hoping we will see him back on the field next season.

4 Likes